Orca Mystery Quilt 2011-12

This is where I'll be posting the Mystery quilt info and photos from now.
I'm using pinks as my main colour with purples and teals/turquoise as secondary colours and creams as background.
I'm already 4 steps behind, but with holidays and more time I do hope to catch up :-) - Guess we'll see.

I love Quilting

Have really enjoyed sewing this weekend. I find it very calming and relaxing. I'm enjoying the Orca Mystery quilt - still haven't finished part 1 yet, but will the next few nights. Think I'll leave the trimming of the dog ears until we are traveling after Christmas - that will be an easy task to do every now and then.

 I'm using purple's as my dark fabric and creams as my background.
I wasn't sure how the dot patterned fabric would look, but I think it looks good. I have a lot of that material, so it might come in useful as a border - if the mystery quilt has one :-)

Parts One and Two finished

Finished work Last Friday week and went off to beautiful Fraser Island for the week. Of course I took some trimming of the Part 1 units ...... 

 Don't these scraps look pretty? Can't think of what to use them for, so I'll have to bin them - but they still look pretty.

Now for Part 2.
I had only intended to do 50 of part two, but once I got started it was so much fun, I decided I might as well do the whole 72 units. I didn't have a lot of teals / turquoise, in fact what I had I had purchased most of it for a block exchange I was in, so I also added a couple of greens and blues that I hope look good together.


I do think I like the colours.
Now to start Part 3

Progress on Part Three

The thought of all those tiny triangles gave me cause for thought - there has to be a better way. So with some trial and error I worked out that if I lay a light on a dark 5 inch square, I can make 8 half square units.

This was plan two 4.75" and the blocks were about 1/16 too small, so I added 1/4" and the blocks are good. I do have to be careful to sew on the lines, and the lines need to be exact, but once sewing I can chain sew quickly.
Draw the two diagonals first.

 Then the two cross lines - these are the cutting lines after sewing.
I also drew the sewing lines 1/4" of each side of the diagonals.
I've check a lot of the finished units and a few need trimming to make 2"  squares, but I'm fine with that.

I've made 40 units tonight - 5 lots of 8. Will do some more tomorrow and then start

I need 350 units, so that is 44 pairs of 5" squares needed - 39 to go.

 I finished 168 of the 350 2"hst units from Part 3 and skipped Part 4 so I can add them to Part 5 LOL.

Part 5 is to cut 700 triangle to add to Part 3. Well, that too for ever - not that I'm whining - and I only got 225 cut before I had to cook dinner.

My goal this week was to get 50 units of each part complete. Well I got 168 of part 3 complete, but have pre-cut the required material to complete the 350.

I have also added the wings to Part 3 to complete 50 of Part 5. So I am pretty pleased with myself. (AND I did all this while looking after my granddaughter!

I chain stitched and cut the tabs off as I went.

Cooper - granddaughter - loved the flags and was handing me the wings to put on LOL.

So here are 50 units complete.

I'm looking forward to the next part, although I doubt I'll be able to do any more until after Christmas, and if I can do it while traveling :-).

Here are all the bits and pieces ready to go away until after Christmas.

Orca Clue 6

Clue 6 came out and I couldn't wait until after trip to start soooooo...... out came all the fabric parts again.
I have just finished half of the blocks needed for Clue 6, hopefully that will be enough to move on to the next clue ;-)
 My cream stash is getting low

 112 cream and purple blocks cut and 56 pinks

 light block

 dark block

 I did a lot of chain stitching

 I quickly laid out the blocks in a alternate pattern

I'm really happy with them and tonight will start clue 4 
(I missed that one because we were on holidays at Fraser Island)

Part 4

 I cheated a little and made some BIG string blocks as I had long lengths of material. I think thy turned out well. I would probably do it the same next time, but cut some of the 'strings' narrower.


Part 7
Putting it all together 

I made Part 4 pink strings - at last and added them to Part 3 to give me the Part 7 units.

 The second part of Part 7 involved adding half square triangles to the Part 5 units

 Part 8 - putting it all together

 That's it for now - I will have to wait until after we get back from holidays to sew it all together.
What fun it was though. New clues each week and some wonderful quilting buddies to share ideas and hints with.
Happy quilting