Saturday 30 January 2021

Messy House - Happy Quilter 2021/2

Some people are so clever. I found this little bag many years ago in a market and over the course of a couple of months I was able to pick up quite a few of these. This one is going on my wall in my sewing room. Others I have gifted and others I use to 'put scraps in'. Speaking of clever people, I love looking at 'Insta' photos and others blogs - see 'link up party' below. I get so much inspiration and news of new mystery quilts, sewalongs, blogs, etc.  As I said some people are so clever!

My sewing room is slowly filling up, and Peter's 'cinema' room (the other 'half' of the room) is gradually losing space.

I've been doing a lot of string piecing as my leaders and enders lately. When I straighten edges of fabric for rotary cutting I usually cut it wide enough to make a strip for sewing and place it in plastic containers that I have sorted into colours. When I get enough variety of shades in one container I pull it out and start a string block. I'm working on 4.5" blocks at the moment. I think they look nice on my sewing table too.

The last two weeks I have finished Grassy Creek Mystery quilt top. I decided to go with light and dark grey for the borders rather than to piece them.

Also in the last two weeks I did the binding on my 2019 Moda Blockheads quilt.

I used 'Just get it done' idea of a cardboard template to make the corners. The template is 45 degrees with 1/4" marked to know where to stitch up to and where to start. I've never been able to make these corners so neat. So glad she shared that idea - you see, clever people. She also has a great YouTube channel.

That left the binding hand sewing. I like  to hand sew the second side as I think it makes it look neater.

...And here it is. My ROOSTER quilt finished and on the bed temporarily for this photo. Way too hot in our summer for the quilt, but come footie season in will be on one of our beds, maybe in the caravan as we will be able to travel interstate during the footie season.

Last night my cousin arrived with some quilting goodies from his Mum, my Auntie. In with these beautiful surprises was an applique quilt ready to applique and sew the blocks together. Well, I had to start last night didn't I. It is a Sue Daley pattern 'In My Garden'. I'm not so much into applique but I really enjoyed stitching last night and chatting with my cousin, until midnight. You might remember I am also hand piecing (EPP) Sue Daley's Paper Lanterns for our newest grandchild, 5 months old, on the other side of the world - and we have yet to meet her.

Link up Parties:

Whoopwhoop Friday

Wednesday-Wait-Loss

Off the Wall Friday 

12 comments:

  1. So much eye candy! Both quilts are beautiful. I like the idea of putting those colored scraps into clear glass jars. More decor for the studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norma. I love scrappy patchwork.

      Delete
  2. I love your jars of colored scraps. They look so pretty. Mr. Rooster looks wonderful. Have fun with your new appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie. I find the applique so relaxing.

      Delete
  3. Rooster looks amazing!! What a great finish!! and your Grassy Creek - love the teal in there - so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work. We keep a quilt on our bed all year round and in the warmer months just remove it at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do too Jenny - keep it folded on the end of the bed. Can't have too many quilts.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful projects! Love how your Grassy Creek Mystery turned out. And the ROOSTER! Simply wonderful. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Grassy Creek Mystery quilt is beautiful! I'm too chicken to embark on a mystery project (true story!), but I love seeing what you did here with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it Michelle. I felt the same with my first mystery. I used fabrics I didn't really like, just in case I didn't like it. It turned out not too bad - bright, but not too bad. I'll try to take a photo for the next post.

      Delete