Saturday 15 August 2020

Applique! When Did I Start Doing Applique ?

Applique, I have never really liked applique. Patchwork is what 'I do' - not applique. Why then am I working have two applique projects?

Well, Granny and Chick-Wheata was a kit I purchased many years ago as something I could hand sew while we travelled in our caravan. I did the preparation for the first block and off we went. I recall appliqueing the first piece at Genoa on the Victorian / New South Wales border, and didn't really like doing it. After that??? Now some years later, as I was scrolling Instagram, I came across Shutdown Stitchalong by the Next Stitch. With Victoria in lockdown again, the commitment is to hand applique a little each day, and try to make it a routine. So rather than start something new I pulled out my kit.

 I couldn't find the first block that I think I finished so I started on the second block. Each block tells the story of Granny and her pet chicken Chick-Wheata. This block is the cat hiding from Chick-Wheata.

The week I started on the next block. Granny is old and needs help waking up in the morning, so Chick-Wheata knows how to wake her. The circles top left are a clock. Lots on embellishments on this one.

Last week I started QAL By the Sea, another project I found on Instagram. However this applique is done on the machine. Block 2 is Terry the Turtle by designer Jennifer from The Inquiring Quilter. Jennifer used batiks so I thought I would too. I don't have a lot but had enough variety to make this block.

First, after cutting all the pieces I thought this is going to be difficult - remember I'm not use to applique. Surprisingly it wasn't and I'm actually enjoying it. I played around with the threads .....

 ... and I'm not sure about the eyes. I went around a couple of times to make the eyes stand out. Can't decide if they need more emphasis.

This weeks linking parties:

Whoop whoop Friday @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict

Wednesday-Wait-Loss @ The Inquiring Quilter

Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

Off the Wall Friday @ Creations... Quilts, Art... Whatever

Finished (or Not) Friday @Alycia Quilts

Clever Chamelon 


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you I did enjoy doing it.

      Delete
    2. Love your fabric choices. Such a wonderful version of my block. Thanks for sharing it and your earlier applique project on Wednesday Wait Loss.

      Delete
  2. I think you do *do* applique now - haha!! that turtle is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I guess I do Alycia. It's a bit like paper piecing - never liked that until the second paper piecing mystery.

      Delete