Saturday 14 March 2020

It's already mid March, and I have been busy with orders - keep in mind I don't take orders, so how did that happen???? One of the many regular QAL's that I do is the Moda Blockheads. This is a free QAL with one and sometimes more blocks released each week. The first one, Moda Blockheads 1 was in 2018 and is available to purchase now in book form. I chose browns and neutrals to do the 6" blocks. I still have to sew all the blocks together. 2019 and Moda Blockheads 2 was a collection of different sized blocks to make a quilt, and it is still available, I don't know for how long, on the link above. I made it in reds, whites, and blues, the colours of my favourite footie team the ROOSTERS - Eastern Suburbs aka Sydney.
This year, you can find the free blocks at many different sites. I use the Moda Blockheads FB page to see the blocks and Bear Creek Quilting Company to download them. This year the blocks can be made in 3 or 4 different sizes. Block one is Star Chain by Corey Yoder. I was still trying to work out what I was going to with this years blocks so decided to use the red and black that I had left over from some place mats for a friend and made a 12" block. Perhaps it will become a cushion cover.
Block 2 was Sunshine Star by Sherri McConnell. I like to cut and lay out the block on a mini design board, ready for sewing.
Still trying to decide what to do with this year's blockheads, I have a collection of greens so thought I may make lap quilts of different colours using the 12" blocks.
Block 3 - Crown and Star by Betsy Chutchian, was also a 12" block in greens.
Block 4 was an applique, so that will happen soon 😆, and block 5 was Love by Brigette Heitland. I really had to think about this one. I didn't want to add it to a lap quilt so made little 4" blocks using foundation method, that I turned into beautiful little coasters.
We then had a last minute trip interstate to see family, so block 6 still needs to be made. By this time I had decided to make quilts for my girls, neither of which liked green! I was making modern quilts for the girls, but both told me (after I had made 4 rows) that they wanted traditional. Block 7, Zest by Lissa Alexander was some more hearts, so I did some more 4" blocks. I'm thinking of using these as part of labels on the girls quilts.
Block 9 has been released, so I still have some blocks to catch up on ... and I will. Need to finish the some other projects first.

2 comments:

  1. You certainly have been busy sewing with all your multiple projects. Lucky you are not cruising at the moment with all the virus upsets and cruise liners. Have you any more cruises booked in the near future? A friend was going on the Alaskan Inside Passage cruise next month and it has just been cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not cruising at the moment. We were booked on a cruise for this Saturday, but it was cancelled. Shame, cruise ships are the most sanitized place to be in this day in age. Certainly not going anywhere near public transport We have been on an Alaskan cruise and loved every minute of it. The cruise companies have been pretty good with refunds or extra future cruise credits. We are renovating a house to sell then off in the van to WA.

      Delete