Saturday 18 June 2016

Farmers Wife #28 Dolly

Another hand pieced block, with heaps of pieces. Dolly has 61 pieces, and I really enjoyed hand piecing it. I used templates that I had cut from my own template plastic, and will use again. I found it easier than paper piecing. Travelling in the caravan and not staying long in any one place meant that I wasn't able to get the machine out - and we often chose not to have power, to save money - meant that I was hand sewing a lot. It took forever to cut out all the pieces for this block, and once I finished cutting all the pieces, it sat for days on the window sill in the van with me sewing one or two, or if I was lucky, three pieces a day.
As it took so long to cut, I decided the best way to catch up was to cut out each block when we got home, and to continue on my hexies and hand quilting my 'country quilt'.
GnomeAngel tutorial is here.
My thoughts on the letter "That Easy Road"
by Quiet Living 1933
Quiet Living was married at the age of 17, and things were hard at first, but became easier - until they had to 'keep up with the Joneses'. It is hard when one is young to be what other's are, or perceived to be. I'm not sure that I was ever trying to keep up. I didn't want to be 'out of place' so I guess I was somewhere in between. My sister use to lay-buy many items, particularly clothing, but I have NEVER had a lay-buy. I pay cash, or in later years used a credit card, that I promptly paid off each month. Does that make me unique, I don't think so. I'm sure many people do the same. 
Don't get me wrong, we do not do with out, but we are careful with our money. Maybe it is my Scottish ancestry - to be thrifty. Now we are retired, every dollar counts. We still want to enjoy life, but now we do it differently. Fortunately we didn't go through a Depression as bad as "Quiet Living" - but on a limited budget one needs to be aware of what one spends.
Quote:
The easy road often becomes hard, and the hard road often becomes easy.
~ Robert T. Kiyosaki 

No comments:

Post a Comment