Saturday 5 December 2015

Farmers Wife #39 Grandma


#39 Grandma was an interesting block. Made entirely of two different sized triangles, it looks harder than what it was. I did make a mistake in some of the measurements, but that will be sorted out when I piece the quilt top together. Speaking of layout, I have decided I will be making a few different quilts, and will be doing most on point. I do think the blocks will look better that way. My problem is choosing what fabrics go together, but in this block I'm happy with my choices.

My thoughts on the letter 'All Bravery and Brightness'
by Grandma, Feb. 1931
Grandma, 82, writes about her struggles and compromises throughout her long life, and looking back she realises she has 'lived a happy, useful life.'
  Really, nothing has changed today. Yes we have more appliances and the world appears much faster now, but the struggles are still there, the compromises are still there (or should be).
Through all Grandma's struggles she always put on a brave face, for the sake of others. How many of us still do that? Many people we know and see each day put on a smile to cover up how they really feel. Sadly some of these people do not reach the age of 82, as life just gets too much. "All bravery and brightness" is often a cover up for what is really going on in one's life or mind. Putting on a 'happy face' does not make it better, it makes others feel better. Sorry to be glum, but we need to look out for each other, each and every day.
I hope that when I am 82...92...102, I can look back on my life and remember the good and not the bad.
Quote: I'm a strong person, but every once in a while, I would like someone to take my hand and tell me that everything is going to be alright ~ Anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment