Tuesday 8 December 2015

Bonnie Hunter's 2015 Mystery Quilt

ALLIETARE - Parts 1 & 2
This will be the fifth year I have done a Bonnie Hunter mystery - only one have I finished completely to use.

2011 - Orca - was my first mystery, and the one I love the most - so far. It is still not finished as I need to make more of the units to make it fit our bed.
2012 - Easy Street - is scrappy, and is completed and living happily in our van.
2013 - Celtic Solstice - I chose not to go scrappy. I bought all new fabric in 5 different colours and tones. Still needs the border, and it will live in our family room. 
2014 - Grand Illusions - I went scrappy, mainly because I was so busy at work I didn't have time to go to the fabric store, and often got behind in the units, but I finished it to quilt top stage - it was ok.
2015 - Allitare. and so the adventure mystery begins.
You can find Bonnie's instructions here.
I chose the same colours as recommended by Bonnie, except for the gold. I really don't have very much 'gold' fabric so went for blues instead to match the blue in the constant grey fabric. 
I used this fabric in Easy Street.
 Part one was half square triangles :) - heaps, but I'm doing half of what Bonnie is doing. 
One thing (of many) that I learnt from Bonnie's mysteries, was to do as many as one can of each unit, and when the next part comes out start on the next unit and come back to complete parts not finished. That was my downfall in 'Orca', but now I know better and try to keep on track. I also have more time now to spend doing what I like to do.
I still need to finish part one, but I'm more than half way.
 Part 2 was a sort of flying geese unit.
 It also included cutting squares from the constant grey and the blackish fabrics. Some of the blacks I used were used in Easy street, and that was when I started collecting fat quarters of blacks and blacks on white.
 In making these units I also made small half square triangle units, that I know some would throw away, but I'm of Scottish blood so nothing larger than my finger nail will get thrown away. I may use them in the border or in place mats or mug rug, I'll use them somewhere. 
I also use then as anchor cloths!
 
 The little dog ears I cut off usually when I've finished sewing the units, but it depends on what I am doing. Sometimes I will cut them as I go.
 I use a small 4 inch by 6 inch container that sits at the end of my quilting table and it is easy to snip, snip, brush into the container. Nothing on the floor.
Bonnie has a link up party each week, so you can see what others are doing.
I'm not sure how much sewing I will get done the next week with family visiting and Christmas parties, but I will get back to do part 3 in a week or two.

6 comments:

  1. Your constant fabric adds a lot of interest. It all looks good so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it will work well with the added blue.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. Bonnie's mysteries always turn out well.

      Delete
  3. Good on you sewing another Bonnie Hunter quilt. I've got one started somewhere in the jungle of UFOs and I can't even remember the name!

    ReplyDelete