Monday, 12 March 2012

Catching up Monday LOL

Had a busy weekend with school work and visitors, so no sewing :-(
I was able to cut and sew some yellow strings for the Hello Sun BOM by April Mae Designs during the week, so that was a bonus.

Heatbond fabric ironed onto strips and cut according to directions

The suns ironed into place. 
I'm making two quilts, one for each of my granddaughters. 

January Block
Of course, the January snowman, will become Coopers July block.
Ava's will be January :-)

I love the material for the hats. 
Wish I had thought of fussy cutting to get the band the right way on both. 
Learning curve - I don't do a lot of appliqué.

February Block - minus the 'sun rays'
I'm using off cuts so will add them as I go.

 This is my favourite so far.
Here it is not yet ironed, and I've used my 'favourite' colours at the moment
Purple, Pink, and Teal.
Ironed and waiting to be sewn.

 The three pairs of blocks waiting to be sewn.
I chose plain blue as the background, and I'm very happy with it. I'm not sure I like the suggested black thread to appliqué, but I've got time to think about it. Thinking about blanket stitching in the colours of the fabric.

That's it for now.
Happy Sewing.

Sunday, 4 March 2012

Sewing Sunday

It feels so good to be able to have time to sew. I know, one can always MAKE time, but when you have a demanding job that is getting more demanding each week, it is really difficult to find time.

I haven't had time to sew for a few weeks, that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it. Always thinking about it ;-)

So, a few things happened this weekend. I worked Friday night and all day yesterday on the weeks planning so I could sew today. My plan was to do the Craftsy BOM March blocks that came out a few days ago. First, I had to clear off and move my sewing table. While I did that Peter decided to build a platform for my UFO stand - but more about that in a later post.

 I watched the video, read the instructions, ruled the lines, and thought "that's too wide". Well, I thought the instructions said 1.5 inches - DUH!!! So started again. Ruled 1" lines with my 8" square ruler, and then Peter got my regular 6.5" ruler from the van, and the 1" were different - AGAIN DUH!!!!! The square ruler had a 1/4" allowance. Start again!!

 ..and then I noticed my rotating cutting board had inches marked. At this stage I'm thinking 'stop now before you cut'.

Anyway, got over that problem and started sewing the purple strips. Thank goodness that ran smothly. At least I knew what I was doing as I had made similar for the Orca Quilt (which I must finish)

 Back to the sewing table to trim away the excess. Some of the scraps I saved, but most went into the rubbish :-(  See my iPad with the instructions in the background.
 Finished March block 1.
 Now to Block 2.

 Blocks finished, ready to trim.


 We also needed to cut away  the excess background material.

 Finished blocks ready to make the 12.5" block.

Finished March Block 2

 Here are the six completed blocks so far.

Now, I'm going to repair a pair of shorts that Peter ripped, and then start sewing some of the stripey blocks.

I love Sewing Sunday.