Saturday, 4 February 2017

Farmers Wife 1930 Sampler #07 Augusta

Haven't been doing a lot of Farmers Wife blocks as I am doing them by hand now (easier) and only do them when travelling in the van. I keep the making of the templates and cutting of the pieces for home and then store them in zip lock bags in the book, so I am ready to sew the next one, once I've finished one. Just like this.....

In saying that, I am so far behind in the 'sew a long' that I doubt I will catch up - but that's ok! I'm enjoying what I am doing, and that's what counts. This block has 33 pieces and is hand sewn.
"Her Great Granchild" writes in 1931, a letter titled 'When Great Little Grandma Drew the Line' in which she has a really detailed description of Great Grandma and her clothing, including an obvious cherished 'big pocket'. Grandma would tolerate situations, but when enough was enough, she drew the line!
I know that feeling. One can only be pushed so far when that line gets drawn. Enough IS enough! Choices need to be made, and boundaries drawn.
Quote:

There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you've had enough!

 

Tuesday, 17 January 2017

This week at my place.

In an effort to keep blog a little more regular, I will (hopefully) update each week what I am doing sewing wise. So, here we go....
 I am working on step 7 of the Love Peace mystery quilt by LoveShack Quilts. I enjoyed watching Midnight Quilter on Craftsy Youtube, while drawing diagonal lines on 6" blocks.
I will talk more about Midnight Quilter in a later blog.

 ON MY WALL ....

I have completed the Bonnie Hunter's En Provence top and it is hanging on my design wall waiting for me to purchase the backing and batting for the quilt, then a 'spare' 😀 day to pin, quilt and bind.

UNDER MY NEEDLE ...

After ruling the diagonal lines I proceeded to sew a 1/4" either side of the drawn line. I always like to check a few times while sewing that I am pretty close to the 1/4". Not bad, I thought.
..and here is the finished part 7 of the Love Peace Mystery quilt.
What to do this coming week.... finish En Provence quilt, make at least one table topper, and work on Farmers Wife blocks.

Friday, 13 January 2017

En Provence Mystery Quilt

Regular readers know I love mystery quilts. This time of year I am doing Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville's mystery, (as well as others - busy time for mysteries) - this year inspired by the beautiful landscapes of France. As in previous years, I am doing half size, and Bonnie's colour choice recommendations are 'my' colours - well, except for yellow. I substituted the yellow for light pinks 😊.
 Bonnie's mystery starts at the end of November every year, and I started doing them back in 2012, with the Orca Bay Mystery. Although I had made mystery quilts previously from magazines, I do believe that Bonnie's mystery quilt really got me hooked.
This time of year there are many mysteries on-line so I find it easier to have a list of fabric requirements and a quick note about each unit made. I store this with the fabric in a box so it is always together for when the next clue comes out.
The first clue was a neutral 4-patch. Now that I have finished the top, except for the border, I have many 4-patches left over, so I may incorporate in in the border.
Part 2 was magenta & neutral units, followed by part 3 -a 4-patch lilac & purples.
Part 4 was a purple and neutrals unit same as part 2.
Part 5 was purple and neutrals half square triangles.
Part 6 was green, lilac and neutrals. I almost changed the greens for teal, and although I like the way the greens look, I still think teal would have been a better way to go.
So all units complete, well half of them, it is time to start to put the units together.
I swapped the yellow for pink, and for me it looks 100% better. I really don't like yellow!
I really like the way the units have come together, still think teal would have looked better.
I thought about having a thin magenta inner border, followed by a 3" outer border, but after auditioning it I didn't like it. I think I will incorporate the left over neutral 4-patches and make a neutral border with a magenta binding. 
As I made the quilt with half the units Bonnie suggested, I decided that a single bed topper would be what I complete. That leaves me with two central blocks. I will use one on a jacket that I am making, and the other as a table topper or caravan stove topper. Sold lots of caravan toppers, helps pay for petrol as we travel Australia.