Saturday 25 June 2022

Leader and Enders

I'm not sure who told me about leaders and enders, I just don't know. But I find them great, especially with my new sewing machine. Yes, I purchased a new machine and it is 'sew' good.

Anyway, leaders and enders. I know that way back when I was using my grandma's old Singer I used scraps to make the progression from my project to the end of the sewing, and again before I started the next day. Bonnie Hunter would suggest a leader / ender that would end up as a quilt, and I've made a few of those.... this rail post one was my first leader / ender quilt.

At present I'm using my pink scraps to make scrappy 6.5" blocks to make a quilt ..... eventually.
This week I've worked on some slow stitching on my Halloween Wall hanging. I'm hand quilting the layers. I'm liking it as I stitch on a quilting frame given to me by my Auntie and watch Netflix. I've tried to stitch one spider web a day when in my sewing room - which is 3-4 times a week.

I also repurposed a tea bag holder given to me by a dear friend some years ago. With so many projects on the go, I've decided to keep track of  12 projects and work on those until finished, then I can replace the note with a new project. Let's see how that works.

I continued to work on Moda Blockheads 4. I started to put the block into place ready to stitch together. I am using a design by Wendy Harris, who also kindly shared the measurements on the Modablockheads FB page. First two blocks I used mid and dark grey for the 3D effect .....

... but I didn't like the contrast, so unpicked the blocks and changed out one of the grey's for black and I'm much happier with that.

After a few months of 'auditioning' my beautiful hand stitched embroidery made by my Auntie was hung in the final position - over my (messy) cutting / ironing table. I love it, so special.


Off to do some more blockheads.

Link Up Parties: 

Wednesday-Wait-Loss

Off the Wall Friday

Finished (or Not) Friday

A Pageant of Finishes

Peacock Party 

10 comments:

  1. Good call on switching to the black fabric, it really makes the 3D effect pop out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JustGail. My first 3D effect quilt - always learning.

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed with quilters who make leader and ender quilts. Enjoy that bonus finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaders and Enders, I love them! A lot of my project get started this way. I usually work on two things at once, L&Es sewing this small piece to thst, and so on, and the "real" project I'm working on. Works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jenny .... and we always have scraps.

      Delete
  4. I like your 12 project system. I really should try something like that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great setting for those Moda Blockheads blocks! That's going to look great. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Jennifer. Working on the border this weekend :)

      Delete