Friday 14 January 2022

Scraps, scraps and more scraps.

What do you do with your scraps?

Most of my quilt projects are scrap quilts, I use what I have on hand. Luckily I have a room full of fabric, so can usually find what I want. The last two years I have probably been to the fabric shop maybe three times - usually for neutral yardage.

I often buy scrap bags at quilt shops, op-shops and garage sales, so I have a lot of small boxes of small bits and pieces. I also have boxes and boxes of fat quarters and close to fat quarters. Last month I was given a bag of scraps, and they were really small scraps, some as small as 1" strips and squares, but what a treasure was in that bag. I was able to add neutrals to my Bonnie Hunter's Rhododendron Trail Mystery, which is sadly lacking in neutrals now, and I got a whole box full of different Christmas fabrics to use, as well as many other various colour fabrics - all of which will get used.

So what do I do with them? I have bags with 2 1/2 inch strips colour sorted that I store with the colour fabric in plastic boxes. I have a box of 2 1/2 squares all colours. All will and do come in handy when I need them.

The tiny bits come in handy for EPP hexies, especially the tiny ones.

The gifted scrap bag with many different neutrals came in handy for the mystery quilt. This quilt so far has a lot of white neutrals and I have used all my 2 1/2 inch squares and blocks. Everything else is smaller. It was great to get the extra bits from the scrap bag to give variety to the hour glass blocks.

Then I had to add long white strips to the edges and with limited white neutrals I had to use plain white. Looks ok, I just hope the next clue doesn't need more neutrals because I will have to go the the fabric shop.

You can see how small the hourglass blocks are and how handy the scraps were to add variety.

I love scrap quilts and use even the tiniest bits of fabrics. This dolls quilt 4" x 6", was made with left over half square triangles.


I even sometimes keep the leftovers from iron on applique to make a block. Sad but true!

More often I use scraps to make small scrap blocks that will probably be sashed with black to make a quilt.

What do you do with your selvedges? I have made bookshelf wall hangings and I'm making a cover for my sewing chair,

Link up Parties

Wednesday-Wait-Loss - The Inquiring Quilter

Peacock Party  - Wendy's Quilts and More

Put Your Foot Down - For the Love of Geese.

Small Quilts and Doll Quilts 

Stitch Sew and Show - Life in the Scrapatch 

 

4 comments:

  1. I dont keep tiny scraps, 2.5 in strips are probably my smallest. Your little granddaughter looks thrilled with her dolly quilt. As for selvedges, I have made a couple of bags, place mats, string blocks, sadly this project is still unfinished, and a couple of two handed oven mitts. And I still have more in the bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I should make a bag out of selvedges - good idea thanks Jenny. I usually sew the scraps as leaders and enders.

      Delete
  2. Love your creativity in using scraps, especially for your chair! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete