Sunday 9 December 2012

Christmas is not far away ...

... so I thought I had better get a start on some items.

First I wanted to make some Christmas Stockings for my grandaughters.

 I had a template cut out of thick cardboard. I layered two calico inner layers, two bamboo wadding layers, and one fabric background.

 I layered each fabric in the right position to cut all out at once.

I used fabric markers to write Cooper's name on calico for the cuff.
Cooper chose all the colours. For the main centre block, cooper choose a purple / teal mini block that I had made with left-over sections from Amy Gison's BOM blocks - I never waste anything!

I had a variety of different width strips pre cut, and some odd shaped left over Christmas fabrics to use.

I continued to add pieces to fit.

I layered the background with the bamboo wadding and one calico inner lining to quilt.
I did a plain straight criss-cross pattern

It was easier to rule the criss-cross lines.

 The finished front.
 For Coopers stocking I sewed back and front right sides together and turned it out.
This made it very bulky around the edges, so when I made Ava's I used binding to add the front to the back.

 For Ava's stocking I chose my favourite block - log cabin - as the main centre block.

 Ava's is now in the post, so I hope it gets to her before Christmas.

 As I like to use an anchor cloth and I had lots of strips of Christmas material cut, I decided to make some string piece blocks.
I cut 9" squares out of a catalogue and sewed stripes on a diagonal.

Each time I needed an anchor, I sewed another strip :).


 Happy sewing

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment