Monday 20 April 2020

Can't Have Too Many Projects - right?

I'm on Instagram, one of the creative people I follow posted a pic of a 'scavenger hunt' quilt by Heidi Parkes. It looked very interesting and so I went to the # and had a look at others interpretations of the quilt. I was hooked. I loved the idea and loved the concept. I started more than half way through, (- yes, late to the party again!) and went back to step one on Heidi's Youtube to start. 
Step 1 - ME. I needed to choose two main fabrics - see left. Being 'Safe at Home' I have been using my stash, so really a perfect time to start this quilt. Step one is to trace the left side of body from armpit and to applique onto background. I chose pink as it is my favourite colour, and left overs from a backing of the quilt that lives on our bed in summer time. 
The quilt is 40"x40", but my fabric total is once appliqued was 30"x 42". As a quilt, I think this personal, individual themed quilt will be better as a wall hanging in my new craft room, so that's what is in my mind. I laid the tape measure against my left side and then carefully cut the piece.
Actually worked very well. The blue and white stripes remind me of cruising. This is me.
 The pattern for this improvisation quilt by Heidi Parkes is also in Quilting Daily magazine, and each step is explained there. Step two is about my BIRTHDAY. Width is the month I was born and length is the day. The colour of the fabric is the birthstone of the month born - ruby. I used some fabric from the LQS that sadly closed down two years ago.
Step 3 is TOUCH. Trace 4-5 items that I touch each day, and applique them to the top right hand side of the quilt. I wanted to use my Renyolds freezer paper but someone has used it and not put it back - a search is still in progress - so I used normal paper to trace around the items and then carefully appliqued them onto the backing.
Can you guess what the five items are? See next post.
Step 4 is chronology. I was going well with the steps until this one. I need to roughly cut fabric that means something to me and place them in a grid in chronological order. Harder than one thinks! I have 9 fabric swatches, but really want a minimum of 12, so I'm still looking and thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment