Monday 11 January 2016

QuiltBug Apple Butter NYD Mystery

Happy New Year.
Each year QuiltBug run a couple of quick one day mysteries where clues are posted every hour - US time. It works out about 4am here, and I have been known to get up at 6am to start. I have made the last few New Year's Day ones, which comes out on the 2nd here, but this year we were on the road travelling between spots, so I could start until we were settled and I could get the machine out again.

This mystery used a jelly roll and three contrasting fat quarters, all of which I grabbed from my stash.
 Each step clearly lays out what needs to be done.
It took me all afternoon and some part of the evening to get to this stage.
 I had other things that needed attending to, so two days later I had time to sew all the units together.
The following day was borders and pinning ready for quilting.
On this quilt I used fleecy as the backing.
 I wasn't sure what design to do the quilting, so spent some time on a grid (graph paper) on the computer working some ideas out.
 I decided on a diamond quilting pattern, as always starting in the centre. You can just make it out in this picture.
The finished quilt is approximately 46" x 56" (117cm x 142cm)
 The next mystery is on Super Bowl day - can't tell you when that is, but U.S. readers will know. It is called Peek-a-boo, and the fabric requirements can be found on the QuiltBug News site now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment