Monday 29 July 2019

I Love a Mystery!

Back in May I started two new projects:the new Simply Colourful mystery quilt; and Ulas Quiltpage BOM. Now I am almost finished the Simply Colourful top. After travelling for a few weeks I'm back home and on the machine again. I love a mystery and the first step is choosing the colours, always hard for me, one because I tend to choose the same colours 😊 - pink, purple, and teal; and two because it's a mystery, and one is never sure how it will turn out.
The colours of this Freedom mystery were red, white and blue. I am already making a red white and blue footie quilt so decided to change the blue to purple. First step is sorting the colours into light medium and dark. I usually do this by taking a photo and turning it into black and white, then it is easier to sort the values.
The mystery was nine weeks with a clue every week, and Lynn, the host, would release the clue on Friday morning US time and at 8pm US time that evening would sew the clue. Two of the clues suggested that scraps could be put together to make the same colour block. I think I went a bit too far with some of the scraps, especially with the light neutral blocks. I completed up to clue 6 before leaving home to travel and had a sneak look at clues 7, 8, and 9 while away.

Many of the blocks called for bonus triangles .....
 ... and I do love bonus HST's
 I now have all the blocks made and I'm sewing them into the rows and the quilt top. It looks great.
 I love creating and sewing.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Im not so good on mystery quilts, always worry that I may not like the finished quilt! You are much braver than me, here you are doing a couple of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mystery quilts - the only 'thinking' I have to do is colour choices, but then I don't really have to do that either, I choose to LOL.

    ReplyDelete