Saturday 24 February 2024

Completing a Quilt - Almost

A busy week, starting with the tidying of my sewing space so I could get started on the quilting part of Quiltville Indigo Way. Not my favourite part of quilt making, but it needs to be done. 

However, I did start and finish the community block for the Focus Cutting sew along 2023 quilt. I appliqued the honeycomb block onto a neutral square and as embroidery was to added I used a variegated thread. I am not very good at embroidery, maybe with practice I will get better. The completed block is now on its way to England.

The hardest, least enjoyable part of making a quilt for me, is the sandwiching of the three layers. It takes so long to get all three layers straight and flat and pinned ready for the quilting part. I don't mind the quilting part. I'm doing a straight meandering pattern for the quilting, all while watching and singing along to music videos.


Link Up Parties: 

Wednesday-Wait-Loss – The Inquiring Quilter

A Pageant of Finishes – From Bolt to Beauty

Finished(or Not) Friday – Alycia Quilts

8 comments:

  1. Creating the sandwich has always been my least favorite part also. But since joining the Thursday Stitch and Pray group I don't dread it as much. We have "pinning party" time whenever someone has a quilt to be sandwiched. Most of us participate which makes it go really fast. My job is pin closer. It's such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Pinning Party - what a great idea. Sounds fun.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, smoothing and pinning the quilt sandwich together is difficult and backbreaking. There is a sad lack of clear floor spa e in our little home. I can manage dealing with small quilts up to single bed donation quilts. Big bed quilts for myself or family get sent to the commercial quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky Jenny that I have one of those fold up ends table for pinning. It's high enough so it doesn't hurt my back, which is good. I'm much happier doing smaller quilts too.

      Delete
  3. That embroidery is perfect !! i think you are great at it!
    Have fun sandwitching!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I still need to improve my embroidery, it a learning thing.

      Delete
  4. Great block and great finish to the SAL. I agree with you, the sandwiching part is the part I like the least about quilting. Looks like you are well on your way to another finish! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/02/21/wednesday-wait-loss-368

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I love the new March - drinks Block Mania. Might have to start that one this week.

    ReplyDelete