Saturday 16 October 2021

Destination QAL

 

While travelling in the van, FaceBook group Partners in Design started their new quilt-along called Destination Quilt. The first block was called Canyon block by Sandy @Sandy Star Designs. As we were often free camping without power, I couldn't use my sewing machine, so decided to hand sew each block. I decided to call my block Katherine Gorge, or Nitmulik, in the Northern Territory as we had been there early in our trip. I used colours of the rocks we saw, which changed with the moving sun.

This was the beginning of our travels quilt. This was block one, and took so long to do, the next few blocks really had to be done on a sewing machine when we got home. Our six month caravan trip completed, and back home I started on the current block, which was block 9, Highway by Karen @Tu-Na Quilts. I changed the car to look sort of like our car and added the front of our caravan. I had some landscape fabric, so decided this block would be Lake Barrington, 20 km from Railton in Tasmania. We were there twice in 2019.

The next block was 10, Signs by Becca @Pretty Piney Quilts. This last trip, we drove though the outback, to the beaches and back to the outback again before heading home.   

Being at home now I finished block 10 fairly quick, so jumped back and did block 8 - Lake Forest by Laura @ Slice of Pi. This was a fun block. I have not made origami type pieces before, and it worked out very well. This is Lake Jindabyne in New South Wales. Haven't been there for a few years, but when all this weirdness is over, we will visit again.

Block 11 was Hot Air Balloons by Sherry @ Powered by Quilting. I made the block before deciding where it would be in Australia. Silly me. Hot air balloons were a favourite when we lived in Canberra. One could see them at the beginning of the year during the Canberra festival, and later in the year at Floriade, so this block is the balloons sailing past Black Mountain (which shouldn't be pointy) and the Telstra Tower. 

The last block in the quilt-along, 12, is Mountains by Bobbi @ Snowy Days. Three mountains, so I thought of the Three Sisters in Katoomba NSW, but they look nothing like this, then thought of where the Three Sisters are - The Blue Mountains, and of course that put Graeme Conners song Beach House in the Blue Mountains in my head. Maybe I'll add some beach houses.

Now to move on and finish the early blocks 2-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment