Saturday 3 October 2020

Welcome to October

Fussy cutting epp for September had the theme 'Up Above'. Week 37 was motif. I used signal flags. Starting with the top left flag (which is P), can you work out what word I have created? When I posted on Insta, I included a hint in a poem:

I miss the flags that fly up high,

But all the cruise ships are high and dry.

Can you work out what I love?

And what I wrote up above?

Here is a website to help you International Marine Flags

Week 38 was sections and I used dragonfly fabric to make this cross pattern. I used the same fabric in Week 40.

Week 39 was freestyle, so I chose motif as I had this fabric on hand from another project (houses blocks).

Week 40 was my least favourite style of epp - pattern matching. I just think it wastes too much fabric.

This week I also played a little catch up with By the Sea QAL. I didn't realise I was two blocks behind when block 8 came out - making me three weeks behind. I had avoided block 6 as 'too many points on the stars - but once I sat down with the fabric it was fairly easy. I only had to unpick one section of one star. I didn't use the paper piecing, I did my own thing as wonky stars look good. Block 6 was called Stars at Sea designed by Snowy Days Quilting.

Block 7, titled Waves was designed by Laura Piland of Slice of Pi Quilts. Laura's pattern included a template for the waves, but I had this cutting ruler, so I used that. I ironed strips of heat and bond to stips of fabric and traced the waves using the ruler.
I cut two waves from each fabric. Then I decided for the background I would sew together two different fabrics. I had a small amount of surfer fabric, so I added that to one of the waves.
Block 8 was a Mariners Star by Kathleen McMusing. A fairly east paper piecing pattern. I couldn't decide on a light or dark background, I'm glad Peter suggested dark.
This coming week I will be working on the envelope mystery - making mountains and more houses.

6 comments:

  1. You have been busy. I was particularly intrigued by the wave quilt and the ruler you used to achieve that. I've never seen anything like it. Who makes it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a ruler I bought years ago when doing scrapbooking Gwyned. It's from Creative Memories, made in the USA.

      Delete
  2. What great epp blocks!! the waves are really really cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt along blocks! And those EPP are too precious. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete