Friday, 14 July 2017

The weather is cold - time to sew.

Here in the southern hemisphere it is winter..... and it is cold, well by our standards. DD in England is sweltering with 24 degree temperatures, and I'm freezing with 20!! Anyway, a good time to sew.
We spent most of June traveling in the van so hand sewing was readily on hand. I took away the hexies, of course, and the Farmers Wife blocks, but also had a new project to do. While traveling last year I came across a Christmas Countdown Calendar in an Australian theme at a lovely quilt shop in Cowra. I bought two panels. I have finished one, well the sewing of the pockets are done, and all that is left is the backing and quilting. This first one is for our English granddaughters to take back home.
Before we left on our last trip I decided to make a small needle pouch. I was past the needle in the thread spool stage and wanted something, not only safer but also pretty. I had left over fabric from a mystery quilt earlier in the year so made this little pouch. Think I will need to make some more, so each hand sewing project box has their own little pouch.
 
This is the mystery quilt - finished and gifted. 
I did find some lovely fabric while traveling - these were from the Craftbasket in Orbost.
  
Back home again, I started a block-a-thon. It actually started in March, so I've been playing catch up. It is run by Bear Creek Quilting and is called Moda Blockheads 2017. A block pattern is released each week and it is presently up to block 19. I finished block 14 last night. I have been leaving out the applique blocks, but will get organised to take them as hand sewing on our trips. The top two photos also show some leaders and enders I've made from the block leftovers. I chose browns as I purchased three FQ packs of 6FQ's for $5 each pack. Much of the fabric was brown AND only one FQ was duplicated - so that's why I'm not using 'my' colours. One has to use some of the stash some of the time.
Bonnie this past week also introduced this years 'Leaders and Enders' Quilt Challenge - so why not start another project.😄 It involves making railpost blocks. What a great idea. Bonnie is using a checkerboard for two of the rows, so I thought ...why not! I chose a 1.5inch jelly roll that I've had for some time and made a sample block, first in blue and white checks then in black and white checks. Liked the black and white so that's what I'm doing.
With so many little pieces in the blockhead blocks, I have been able to sew a lot of leaders and enders. I have drawn up a plan and cut all the fabric strips so I'm ready to go.

1 comment:

  1. You have certainly been busy - lots of lovely stitching to show.

    ReplyDelete