Saturday 16 March 2024

March Sewing and Flashback.

Sad the cruising season is coming to an end, but that will give me more time in the sewing room, at least until we head off in the caravan. 

A few years back, 2020 - during that time when we were all stuck at home 😉, I came across a facebook page - Partners in Design: Where Friends and Fabric Meet -that was starting a sew along "By the Sea". We all had plenty of time, so I started. It included a lot of different sewing techniques, some I was familiar with and others I was not. I did complete all the blocks but have not yet finished the quilt. It was fun and I even won a prize pack. In that pack was a pattern called "Beach Reading" from Pretty Piney - now Sugar Sand Quilt Co. - and that will become the middle of the By the Sea blocks. I guess that is what I may work on this week.

The next Partners in Design sew along was the end of 2021. The name, Destination Blocks, I adapted it to the Aussie Road trip that we  were on when it started. The first block had many many pieces and I hand stitched them together as we were travelling.

I decided to make the quilt as photos and use in the spare bedroom for the grand kids.

Now to this weeks sewing - I mentioned the Partners in Design FB page (which is not very active at present), on that page I came across Jennifer Fulton and The Inquiring Quilter, and I have been following her on Instagram as well as her webpage/blog. This block Cosmopolitan I found on Jennifer's blog and I instantly knew I had to make it. It is part of Quilt Block Mania and March is drinks. I only had a small amount of wave fabric so I decided to make the size of the block as wide as the wave fabric. I looked at the other drink blocks from the other designers and chose a few that I liked to add to the block.

So I started with the Cosmopolitan, one of my favourite cocktails - and I have many - and decided to add a cocktail shaker from Tamarinis.

I next found a pina colda, one of Peter's favourite drinks - and he now has a few different cocktails he likes. This one from Appliques and Quilts in a coconut, that would be cool, but we always get them in a glass. The other drink is a Toblerone.

Here we are with the finished block. I think it will become a cushion, with another cushion with some other cocktails to go with the soon to finish By the Sea quilt 🤞. Thank you Jennifer for the inspiration and the block.

Cheers!

Link Up Parties: 

Wednesday-Wait-Loss – The Inquiring Quilter

A Pageant of Finishes – From Bolt to Beauty

Finished(or Not) Friday – Alycia Quilt

Off the Wall Fridays - Creations - Quilts, Art, Whatever

Put Your Foot Down - A Quiltery

10 comments:

  1. What a great way to memorialize your travels, real and imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's two great quilts, I particularly like the travelling blocks. Cheers to you both too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhh as I am reading I thought - it's art - it's a quilt - it's a memory - best of all three worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to see these again! Love your renditions of the By the Sea blocks and can't wait to see them come together in a top. Your Destinations quilt is a great memory of your trip and so pretty! And finally, I especially love how you took my Cosmopolitan block and made it special by adding other drinks you like. I love a good cosmo. This will make such a great pillow! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/03/13/wednesday-wait-loss-371

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your designs - they made me do applique :) Going to watch your podcast now.

      Delete