Thursday 20 December 2018

Sewing, Sewing, Sewing...Good Fortune catch-up

After being away for a week, it has been a busy few days catching up on Good Fortune Mystery quilt. I am two steps behind so first step was to cut all the pieces for part 3 - greens and neutrals. Once ready. I decided to do five of part 3 and alternate with five of part 4. That's just me, in my head it is quicker (but of course it is not). I guess it's the satisfaction of seeing both parts getting done.
 Part 3 was actually two units - half chevron's and BONUS half square triangles. I love bonus triangle and this time Bonnie has included them as part of the mystery - woo hoo!
I have finished ironing all the bonus units, but trimming the dog ears will have to wait. I also enjoy string piecing. Part 4 was pink string blocks. I first did string piecing way back in Bonnie's Orca Mystery, strange enough it was pink and blue string pieced units then. Bonnie suggested oranges, and I have chosen pinks. I have a collection of plastic containers (they use to contain flour), that I put strips of fabric in to make string blocks as my leaders and enders. I have the containers sorted into colours and each time I use a new fabric I cut a couple of strips from the end - sometimes to straighten the edges. This has given me a lot of strips to use...and I do use them, usually on placemats.
 This time I had a lot of shorter strips, so made a combination of small and large string pieces. Here they are ready to trim to size.
 I cut and trimmed the units and ended up 6 units short - well two of the units from the larger string blocks ended up too small, and I must have miss counted the last four from the big unit. - so back to the sewing machine! 
 To see what other are doing go to Bonnie's Part 4 Link up Party here. Waiting another day for clue 5. Might cut our some Moda Blockheads 2 pieces - to catch up there.

4 comments: