Wednesday 14 March 2018

Life is Good

I do sew most days, either machine sewing at home, or hand sewing at home and travelling in the caravan. At home awaiting the birth of our fourth granddaughter I was able to finish Bonnie Hunter's Ringo Lake Mystery top. I used Bonnie's colours and I am so pleased with it. Now it sits at home waiting for us to get back from this latest adventure so I can quilt it. I think this one will be for sale - we have so many quilts.
So while we have been away I have been working on hexies. I was very fortunate to have my Auntie and her friend destash, and give to me all the fabrics they no longer required - WOO HOO for me 👏💖😊. So we are now travelling with two very large trays of fabric!
With the #fussycuttinghexiesewalong I was able to complete my missing week 1 hexie flower at home. 
Week 5,  was also completed.
The last block for January was framing, and I switched from the 1 1/2" hexie to the 1/2" hexie.
The theme for February was LOVE. I think I am getting better at this fussy cutting - not good, but better. I didn't think I would enjoy it, especially with the wasted fabric, but I am - and I am also keeping all the left over to make a crazy block. Here are February blocks.
 The theme for March is animals!! One would think that with all the fabric I have been gifted I would have lots with animals ..... NUP!! Only one tiny bird print, already cut into 2 and 1/2" squares. So, I made Week 10 -motif - using 1/2" hexies and the search began for animal fabric ... and continues.
 I'm getting a collection of 1/2" hexie flowers so I do need to work out what I am going to do with them. I have been wanting to make a kaleidoscope type quilt, so thought I would turn Week 10's hexie flower into something else. What do you think? I'm not sure where I will go from here!
Week 11 of the March animal theme was section. My SIL found a pyjama top with these lovely Scottie dogs, what a find!
 Sew, the rest of the March blocks may include this fabric if I can't find any different fabric.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your Ringo Lake quilt top, that was a big job.
    And you are coming along well with all those hexagon, that's something I've never tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm home now Jenny, and after unpacking washing etc, I will think about quilting Ringo Lake. You should try hexis they are relaxing - and a little addictive.

      Delete
  2. Your Ringo Lake is pretty and quite an accomplishment. I took a pass this year on Bonnie's mystery because I have too many UFOs to try and finish in my lifetime. :) I am impressed by all the different hexies and sizes that you are playing with. It will be interesting to see how they all come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have so many ufo's Dar, but so enjoy the patchwork part of quilts, I do end up with so many tops, but it's more important to be happy :) Hexies are great to do when traveling. Have you tried them?

      Delete