Tuesday 6 October 2015

Farmers Wife 1930 Sampler Quilt #14 Betty

Week two of the Farmers Wife QAL and the first block this week is #14 Betty. You can see GnomeAngel Tutorial here.


Here are the two blocks for #14 Betty. I decided to use a dark green fabric on both colour ways as I think it works.  I'm not doing a Christmas one this week.
Angie at GnomeAngel likes to iron the seams open, but I'm not a fan, so my seams are usually pressed to the dark. It does make some small parts of the blocks a little bulky, but I don't mind that. I also love making the little tiny four patch when pressing my seam the same way.
You can see that either my cutting or seams were a little out. However, I was able to adjust to make all the points and matches correct.
 My thoughts on the letter by Music Maker, 1933.
Music Maker talks about her greatest desire, and how it was difficult to achieve for many reasons. Money, time, energy all take its toll on our dreams, but if it is a passion one will find a way to do it.
My passion was teaching. I had always wanted to be a teacher, even as a small child. It was my hobby. I enjoyed working out different strategies for different levels of learning. I enjoyed making resources - as many were not provided - and took great satisfaction in seeing the faces of the children as they played, when I knew they were really learning. I use to think I was so lucky to get paid for doing something that I loved. But that was in the past. The passion is gone. 
I've always been creative and have been doing quilting since the early 90's. I have been journaling since I could write, and blogging for the  past 6 or 7 years. I started family tree when I was 12!
These are my passions now, and I'm going to make them work. I have more time to spend with my family and more time to spend on me .... and my passions.
Two quotes came to mind today:
Nothing is really work, unless you would rather be doing something else. J.M.Barrie
and
Life is a journey and it is never too late to chart a new course.

Happy Sewing
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment